Monday, June 6, 2011

Confessions of A Color Whore....(part 1)

For Sylvina & Daisy.... <3


As I sat in the chair, foils in my head, magazine in hand, I heard a cute little voice exclaim, "I am a color whore!!!" My eyes darted up to the dollface next to me. All of a suddent three women, (me, my hairdresser, and the dollface) erupted in laughter. I said, "me too!!!". This one revelation fueled a discussion that went on for a few hours. I pondered as to how much I love color. My form of crack was color. The brighter, the bolder the better. I remember wandering into this salon lost and blah yearning for life and vivaciousness. I was stuck in a hair rut, hell I was just in a huge sink hole in my life. I didn't have to say much to the woman I was barely meeting for the first time. I didn't hesitate to yield to her creativity. I spoke- half sentences, which she completed-, she listened, we bonded and she gave me back my life. Yea sounds a little drastic, but it's true. She spun me around and VOILA!!!! There I was!!!! The woman I knew that lived deep down inside me she was looking right back at me. Her eyes were popping, her smile was huge, she could light up the night with her new found life.
I remember that day I cried a lot. It was a deluge if emotion that poured out of me like a torrential flood. I had never felt happier in my life. I had never felt so confident and bold. Suddenly I felt what I always wanted to feel, I didn't give a fuck. This was me and I didn't care who liked it or not. No one had to love me or like me but they damn sure were going to respect me. I felt uplifted like never before. That was the day I colored my life and I have been coloring my world ever since. It wasn't just about my hair, I knew my life, my world was drab and black thirsting for the infusion of color. Every inch of my life wanted to breathe again.
Battling depression for what seems since I was about 11 or so I never really wanted to deal with that. I stuffed my emotions in until they burst until I had to find ways to soothe what I couldn't confront.
I'm not going to say that coloring my hair is a total cure to my depression, not at all, but I believe it inspired me to look at my life, my world much differently. I want to relish every moment as if it's my last. I want to dance like no one is watching, laugh until my side aches, love like it's the very first time, every time. I want to live and be bold and beautiful, no excuses. I am my hair.
I am bold, wild and tenacious and most of all I am stunning!!!
I am hooked.
These are my confessions...the confessions of a color whore.
to be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Lovvvvvvve this you are sooooo brave and uplifting! I want to hear more! Every woman can relate to these blogs...you are a wonderful sister to all of us who feel the same but somehow cant put it into words or brave putting it out there. Thank you for shining your beautifull light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live my motto too - Be brave, not beige!

    ReplyDelete