Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Privilege

(this one is not quite done yet...based off a conversation my mother and I had...)



If you are privileged you can do the things
the things the beach boys sing about
surfing and sunning
living out fun

At least that is what my mother thought
as she told me of how grand a scheme her mind could play
about doing the things white kids did
like the beach boys would sing

I asked her why, why didn’t you see that dream possible
well, I guess it was something we didn’t do
something we couldn’t do
Mexicans don’t surf

Yet, I tell her I know some that do.
See she speaks of privilege
of the privilege of the wealthy
things unattainable because they are not us

I ask her if she felt disadvantaged
she says well I suppose
It just seemed so far fetched all those things
Your grandparents couldn’t afford
to take us on fancy trips or buy us the latest things

but my mother she did her best she sewed us lovely things
cute dresses in the latest patterns
but my father he patched my shoes
there was no such thing as anything too old

you see if you are privileged you are allowed nice things
weekend trips and family vacations
to honolulu or paris or rome
you get a new car at 16 with a shiny red bow

yea I have actually witnessed one of those
a shiny expensive new car
sitting in the private school parking lot
while i waited on my mommy, late once again
to pick me up and take me back to the office
so she could make up her time

see if I were privileged as the underlying assumption tends to go
I would truly have been a private school kind of girl
the one with two parents, picture perfect, perhaps a vacation home
but I wasn’t and I’m not, i dreaded free dress cuz I didn’t want to show
I had nothing new to show off
the same as last time. I was better off in that uniform than in regular clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment